Why are the Norwex Body Cloths so Effective Against Acne?

A norwex towel and body pack with silver - the Norwex Baclock system to inhibit bacteria

You may have read – or experienced yourself – how effective the Norwex body cloths are against acne, including adult acne. So how does this work?

Let me start with an anecdote. I have a customer who has adult acne, and for years has only been able to use the purist, most expensive cleaners and makeup on her face, or she breaks out. She lives in Australia, but actually has them imported from Europe, because only this one brand has ever worked for her.

So last year she started using Norwex body cloths. But she didn’t *stop* using her expensive face cleanser. At least, not right away. Her past experience was that if she stopped using it, she would immediately start breaking out.

But what she did, was took a two week trip away and left the cleanser at home. She packed her body cloth though!

After the trip she told me “Normally, with all the wine and chocolate we ate, I would have broken out even using my usual cleanser. But with just the Norwex body cloth, my skin stayed clear!” You can bet she’s saving some money on that cleanser these days! 🙂

So why does it work?

Well, for starters, the microfibre is very high quality, which means that just like the envirocloth will do an amazing job cleaning your surfaces with just water, the body cloth will clean your face. It is both a cleanser and an exfoliator. Use it very wet to clean without exfoliating, or wrung out for a thorough exfoliation.

• A dryer cloth mean more oils removed, and more exfoliation.
  • A wetter cloths means less exfoliation and oil removal.

How you use it will depend on both your skin in general, and your skin that day. Many people only exfoliate once a week, but cleanse daily, for instance.

Secondly, the silver within the cloth then goes to town on any bacteria left in it after you rinse it out and hang it to dry.

According to this article, your (ordinary) face washer should be washed after every use. “Otherwise you are essentially smearing your pores with bacteria.” It quotes Dr Eric Schweiger, of New York’s Schweiger Dermatology, who said “When you wash or dry your face with a dirty washcloth, you’re reintroducing that dirt and bacteria back into the skin.”

Ordinary towels are also a great place for bacteria to grow. Dr Peter Barrett, of Initial Washroom Hygiene says “Obviously, towels get wet. They also often sit in warm, moist bathrooms and washrooms, and pick up dead skin particles during use, which provides the organic food material for microbes to live on.” Mmm, Yummo. (source)

Experts recommend washing bath towels about every three uses. The Norwex solution...Okay, I’m starting to see why the silver within the Norwex body cloths and towels could have some benefit.

Norwex actually recommends that if you are using the body cloths with acne you do use a clean one each day (they come in a 3 pack so that’s not so hard), but you can see how with normal facewashers they may be *causing* your acne. Once you’ve got it under control, you might find you can wash your norwex body cloth only once a week or so.

People spend so much money on cleansers, lotions, medications and body washes, and I am finding more and more that my customers are simply able to give those things away. I had one customer tell me that after only a few weeks of her teenage daughter using the cloths very irregularly (as she had been doing previously with cleansers), already she was breaking out noticably less. Imagine if she used them regularly!

A good friend of mine who is also a consultant tells the story of a customer who used the body cloths on her son’s very pimply back. He would wash the dishes with no shirt on, so for three days his mother wiped his back with the body cloth while he was doing dishes. After three days, his back was clear!!

So in summary why do they work?

• The amazing power of the microfibre to REALLY clean
  • To do so with just water (so you are not introducing any chemicals onto your face), and
  • The silver, which means your cloth is not growing bacteria in between uses.

A couple more testimonials to finish off:

I had someone contact me out of the blue book her own Norwex demo, because she wanted the body cloths. She told me she had a problem with adult acne, and she had a friend who had a similar problem but suddenly his skin looked heaps better. When she asked him what he was doing he said “I have spent thousands of dollars on acne treatments without success. Then I spent $30 on this pack of three Norwex Body cloths, and SUDDENLY my skin is better!!”

Product Review: The body cloths have improved my quality of life. After suffering from chronic dermatitis on both hands, touching soaps and cleansers was extremely painful. Vannessa Moore.Similarly, another consultant, Mandy Studler, posted on the Norwex facebook page that she has used every skin treatment under the sun to try to get rid of adult acne, and yet her face had never looked as great before as it did after months of using nothing but Norwex.

Save money and time, stop putting chemicals and plastic microballs onto your body and into the water ways, and clean up your skin at the same time. How awesome is that?

Where can you buy a pack of these AMAZING cloths? Why right here of course (that link will take you to my Norwex shop). They are also almost always in the host rewards you can get FREE for hosting a party (which can be an in home demo or a Facebook party). Now also available in a pack of three grey body cloths here.

Have you struggled with acne? Have you tried using the Norwex body cloths? What do you think?

30 comments for “Why are the Norwex Body Cloths so Effective Against Acne?

1. Rachel Southton
    March 16, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for this. My sister was just telling me about these the other day – she has bought them for her teenage kids and says they are making a HUGE difference to their skin (and a whole lot easier to get them to use than 1/2 dozen different products!).

BUT, she said she is using the makeup removal cloths on her face instead. Is that just as good?

• March 16, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Hi Rachel,

That’s a great question. And the answer is yes – and no – depending on your skin!

The makeup removal cloths are made from a suede microfibre, so they are much smoother and thus don’t really exfoliate. They are a much gentler cleanser than the body cloths, and for some people, they are a better choice.

Basically I would recommend using the makeup cloths if a) you have very sensitive skin, or b) you are taking of eye makeup every day. The area around your eyes and lips is much more sensitive than the rest of your face, so it is a good idea to use the makeup removal cloths for those areas.

I know a lot of people who use the makeup removal cloths daily, and then use a body cloth just once a week on their face to exfoliate (but probably daily on the rest of their body in the shower). Personally I don’t wear much makeup at all, and I don’t have sensitive skin, so mostly I just use the body cloth, but I use it very wet in the shower, so I am still not really exfoliating a lot.

Does that all make sense?

They both come in packs of three, but what I often do is split them up and sell a pack with two body cloths and one makeup removal cloth, for people to try. If your sister’s consultant lives near to you, you could have a chat to her, she will likely do the same thing.
      Kirsten McCulloch recently posted..The Absolute, Hands Down, Best Way to Clean GlassMy Profile

2. Paula
    February 9, 2016 at 7:12 am

What is the best way to clean/wash the body clothes? Can the clothes stop working after 4 months?

• February 9, 2016 at 8:33 am

Hi Paula,

There is no reason they should stop working after 4 months no, BUT if you’ve washed them with fabric softener, that would coat the fibres so they wouldn’t work well, and a washing powder with fillers (in Australia, most commercial washing powders contain up to 1/3 fillers), that can do the same thing although more gradually.

Otherwise, in terms of the best way to wash them – I have found with my body cloths and kitchen cloths, it works best if I wash them in hot wash from time to time (mostly I wash in cold). I think because they can both get quite a build up of organic matter in them, and the hot helps to open up the fibres to release the build up. How necessary and how often this is needed seems to depend on the person (we are colour coded in our house with body cloths, so the same ones always go to the same people), and their skin type I guess.

I hope that helps?

So in brief, make sure you are ideally washing with a filler-free laundry detergent, no fabric softener or bleach, and try washing on hot once in a while.
      Kirsten recently posted..Should Your Home Have a Green Roof?My Profile

• February 9, 2016 at 8:35 am

PS If you want to know more about fillers, or how to test your current washing powder, check out this article, and look about half way down for the image of the test I did: http://sustainablesuburbia.net/why-i-dont-use-diy-laundry-powder-anymore-but-you-might-want-to/
      Kirsten recently posted..Why Microfibre Instead of Vinegar? And Why Norwex?My Profile

3. Rebecca
    August 11, 2016 at 5:24 pm

Hi I’m not sure if I’m a bit late to the party but I’m interested in buying these clothes for my adult acne 🙁 it’s mostly okay but you know how these thing are. I’m wondering if you are supposed to use moisturiser after using the cloths?
    Thanks!

4. Gloria
    September 9, 2016 at 2:30 am

Hi Just wondering if you the norwex body cloths for your entire body and if you do do use any soap at all with them?

• November 30, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Yes, for your entire body, and no, you don’t need soap at all. I know people who still use a body wash, more just for the luxury and the scent, but it’s not needed to clean your body!
      Kirsten McCulloch recently posted..6 DIY Christmas GiftsMy Profile

5. November 24, 2016 at 1:50 am

Ok, so I started using a body cloth for washing my face. But I’m not sure what temp water to use on it. I typically wash my face with warm water to open pores so that the dirt can be washed out, but if I’m using cold water on the cloth to keep the fibers tight, then it’s actually closing my pores and only getting surface dirt and dead cells off. Then if I use warm water on the cloth (which will loosen the fibers) the cloth will be less effective in trapping bacteria. What to do?

• November 30, 2016 at 1:35 pm

Hi Carol,
      Sorry for the delayed reply, the comment notification went to my spam box for some reason…

In answer to your questions, if you want to use warm water, that’s fine. If it’s okay on your skin, it’s not going to be hot enough to be an issue for the cloth, and it will still clean you just fine. I recommend using them in the shower all the time, and I *definitely* do not suggest doing that cold! LOL.
      Kirsten McCulloch recently posted..6 DIY Christmas GiftsMy Profile

6. January 17, 2017 at 1:31 am

Hello McCulloch,
    I am 14 and I have little acne bumps on my cheeks, as well as blackheads. My skin is somewhat sensitive too. I recently purchased the graphite body cloths, and I have seen some difference but I was wondering if I wash washing my face the proper way?
    What I do is I exfoliate on Mondays and Fridays (because schools carry a bunch of bacteria in the air) and just cleans for the rest of the remaining days.
    My main concern is that, are the body cloths the right thing to use for my hormonal acne?

• February 27, 2017 at 11:58 am

Hi Alicia,
      I am so sorry, I’ve only just seen your comment.
      In short, yes, it sounds like you are doing the right thing. How often you should exfoliate really depends on your skin, so there’s a bit of experimentation involved.
      But what I understand you to be doing – twice a week you wring out the cloth to exfoliate as you clean, the other days you just clean with a lot of water in it? – that sounds fine. I personally use it fairly wet all the time (in the shower), but my skin is older and probably dryer.

It’s also good to go for a clean cloth – or at least a clean side of the cloth (so your 3 cloths would last 6 days) each day, when you are using them to manage acne, though it doesn’t sound as though yours is very serious, so you may not need to do that, as long as you are rinsing it thoroughly and it has time to dry in between uses. I just wash mine once a week usually.

Does that help?
      Kirsten McCulloch recently posted..3 Energy-Efficient Water Heaters You Should Consider for Your HomeMy Profile

7. February 15, 2017 at 7:46 pm

This is a great post. I am also suffering from acne, also having sensitive skin and I tried many products already and their products, but after I discover this one I think I have to try it.
    Jocelyn Alonzo recently posted..Why Do You Have Acne?My Profile

8. February 25, 2017 at 4:09 pm

I visited a lot of website but I conceive this one has something extra in it.
    Revive Anti Aging Review recently posted..Revive Anti Aging ReviewMy Profile

9. February 26, 2017 at 11:45 am

Some genuinely interesting information, well written and broadly speaking user
    genial.
    Pro Shred Accelerator Review recently posted..Pro Shred Accelerator ReviewMy Profile

10. March 8, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Have you ever thought about writing an ebook or guest
    authoring on other blogs? I have a blog centered on the
    same ideas you discuss and would really like to have you share some stories/information. I know my subscribers would value your work.
    If you’re even remotely interested, feel free to send me an e-mail.
    Active Brightening Face Serum recently posted..Active Brightening Face SerumMy Profile

11. Heather
    May 24, 2017 at 1:29 pm

After using the cloths, should I still follow with my retinA? ….or should I give this up? I have super oily skin.

• Kirsten
      May 24, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Hi Heather, I am not really sure what retinA is, and I’m not a demotologist, but my general recommendation would be to try just using the cloths.

A light moisteriser afterwards may be a good idea though, I use the Norwex Face & Neck gel which is aloe vera based and very light (because I have oily skin too), but I don’t use any other products to clean or dry my skin, just the body cloths with water.

12. May 25, 2017 at 7:46 am

Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was wanting to know your situation; we have created some nice methods and we are looking to trade strategies with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.
    GreenLipo recently posted..GreenLipoMy Profile

13. June 21, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for helping out, wonderful info.
    Muscle Extreme XXL recently posted..Muscle Extreme XXLMy Profile

14. Marly
    July 13, 2017 at 12:11 pm

Hello- I have a follow up question. I got one free body cloth from a party I was at. If I want to use it for my face I have to launder it everyday? That seems like a lot. I thought with Norwex you shouldn’t need clean(launder) them often. So I guess when you say cleaner the towel do you mean launder?

• July 13, 2017 at 3:35 pm

Hi Marly,
      It is only recommended to launder it that often if you have fairly serious acne. I have one in my shower and I launder it maybe every two weeks! But, my 15 year old has developed acne, so I have given him a pile of them in the bathroom, and told him to swap his out every day or two for a clean one.
      Hope that helps!
      Kirsten McCulloch recently posted..The Chemicals in Household Dust – and How to Avoid ThemMy Profile

15. August 3, 2017 at 11:27 am

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most individuals will go along with with your website.
    Soft Skin Moisturizer Cream Review recently posted..Soft Skin Moisturizer Cream ReviewMy Profile

16. August 13, 2017 at 4:56 pm

You have brought up a very superb points, appreciate it
    for the post.
    Dermapur Age Defying Moisturizer recently posted..Dermapur Age Defying MoisturizerMy Profile

17. AnMre
    August 15, 2017 at 5:00 am

Do you think washing with the body cloths and water is enough to remove foundation and other makeup? I have been using them with a mild cleanser to make sure the makeup is totally gone, but it sounds like maybe I could just use water.

• Kirsten
      August 15, 2017 at 1:21 pm

Absolutely, without a doubt! Just use them with water, everything will still come off! 🙂

18. September 30, 2017 at 9:10 am

Outstanding post, I conceive website owners should
    learn a lot from this site its real user pleasant.
    So much wonderful info on here :D.
    Testo Boost Xs recently posted..Testo Boost XsMy Profile

19. October 14, 2017 at 9:48 pm

It is superb content I thought and even I was searching similar this subject articles for knowing about it. And I truly enjoyed to read plus collected a tremendous information about it.